So you have an idea you want to bring into the LBRY network. You have fleshed out the details and determined its value if it succeeds. You know what needs to get done in what order and how you will track completion of your goals... if only you had the resources and help to get it rolling!
Welcome to The LBRY Tavern, where the LBRY Foundation and community gather to turn thoughts into things.
The LBRY Foundation uses its resources to support the LBRY network, community, and ecosystem. If you have an idea that will do just that, we want to help if we can. If we can’t help, maybe a hive or someone from the community can.
There are three things to remember if you want to get the most out of the Tavern:
- Start small
- Starting is easy, completing is not
- Reputation is key
There are two avenues you can use to secure the help you need to build your idea: Initiatives and Project Grants.
Initiatives are small tasks or projects. An initiative is a great way to experiment or explore the development of an idea, or to support a smaller ongoing project.
Most funding requests should exist as initiatives and initiatives are the perfect way to step into the LBRY developer and contributor ecosystem.
There are three tiers of funding for initiatives. Each tier has a maximum amount of LBC that can be requested:
Tier 1: 5,000 LBC
Tier 2: 10,000 LBC
Tier 3: 20,000 LBC
You must complete one initiative of a lower tier before you can request funding from a higher tier. In other words, complete a task with 5,000 LBC in order to ask for 10,000 LBC, and complete a task with 10,000 LBC in order to ask for 20,000 LBC.
To request funding for your initiative follow these steps:
- Join the LBRY Discord server
- Give yourself a Developer, Contributor, or Creator role (whichever applies to you)
- Introduce yourself in the #Initiatives-Discussion channel
- In under 2000 characters, describe your initiative in the #Initiatives-Proposal channel
- Be sure to include an LBC address in your proposal
To give your proposal a better chance of success, try to answer these questions:
- What specific outcomes happen as a result of the funding?
- How do these outcomes bring value to the LBRY network?
- How can success be measured?
- How long will the project take?
- How long will the funding last?
- Keep all discussion to the #Initiatives-Discussion channel.
- No single person can receive more than 20,000 LBC per month via initiatives.
Once you have shared your idea in the #Initiatives-Proposal channel, people might ask questions in the #Initiatives-Discussion channel.
Your proposal is approved if and when it gets five “Fry” emojis from people with the “Veteran” role on the server.
The requested LBC amount will be sent to the provided LBC address within 24 hours of your initiative being approved.
Projects are long term and large scale initiatives. There is no limit to the amount of LBC that can be requested with a project grant. Project grants should be fully detailed proposals with a clear vision, measurable goals, completion dates, and a value proposition. Projects that are supported by an extensive reputation and the experience from a “prototype” are much more likely to be given serious consideration. For the time being, project grants are reviewed by the Foundation Board every Tuesday. Responses are sent out within 48 hours of their review.
To apply for a project grant, visit https://lbry.fund and submit a completed form.